Thursday, January 15, 2009

Thoughts on God's words

I had a bit of an epiphany today, just a minute ago. Not the first time the thought has crossed my mind, but, I thought I'd record it this time. It is truly amazing how often I find myself troubled by something, searching my mind for the right direction or just puzzling over what I should do. There have been a couple occasions here recently when I have found myself doing just that. I figured the best thing to do would be to give it a rest and find something else to think about for a while, just distract yourself and come back to it later. A few times, like today, I chose to read some section of the Bible, generally chosen at random, in order to fill my mind with something other than whatever was bothering me. Now here's the amazing part (me thinking things into the ground is neither novel or rare), usually within a few verses I find some words of wisdom that are directly applicable to my situation. Even when I don't think I'm reading about anything even close to related.

Today is a perfect example. I had some conflicting emotions and thoughts. I have taken to writing these things out in order to get them off my chest and sometimes clarify just what is on my mind. So, first I wrote a poem (it's really bad and should never see the light of day). That was half of what was going on and did not seem to get it all out. So, next I wrote an email, that I saved as a draft, to the person in question explaining my thoughts and feelings(most likely this should never see the light of day either). But, neither one really helped me a who lot and I was still unsettled. Casting about for something, I figured I'd read today's Proverb, Proverbs 15. There in verse 2 was what I needed to hear, "The tongue of the wise uses knowledge rightly, but the mouth of fools pours out foolishness." Continuing to read there were several more verses in a similar vain. I really had nothing to be so conflicted about and certainly didn't need to be spilling my half thought out ideas on anyone else. Just keep my mouth shut, take a few deep breaths, and trust that things will work out just fine.

It is amazing how something so small can have such a big impact on you. It brightened my whole afternoon. I'm sure by heeding the advice I will also be brightening someone else's afternoon as well. Taking a few minutes break before taking an action is a good thing. Doing some reading during that break is not a bad way to spend the time. The Bible's well suited to reading small sections that stand on their own. Might brighten your day, or someone else's.

No comments:

Post a Comment